Oxford Study Shows Language Choice Impacts Decision to Buy
February 28, 2017
Thinking about revamping your user experience in 2017? How much thought have you put into language? A new Oxford study shows that when it comes to purchasing power, language is more important than you might think.
According to the study conduced by Scott Hale from the University of Oxford and Co-Author Irene Eleta from the Barcelona Institute of Global Health (ISGlobal), those who are interested in written reviews and looking for products/services in another language, appreciate translate buttons.
The researchers created three separate travel tours. One tour had three reviews in English; one had six reviews in English; and the final one had three reviews in English and three in Spanish.
Half of participants were offered a translate button for the English reviews. Of that half, 28 percent hit the translation button. While the researchers couldn’t determine if the translate button or the original content in Spanish had more impact on participants’ perception of the tours, any translation—original or machine translated—resulted in a more favorable review of the tour.
One participant said the ability to translate reviews showed that the company offering the translation is “flexible and multinational.”
So if it’s flexible and multinational you’re going for when creating those international user experiences, don’t ignore translation.
If you need help with chat, email, or article translation, let us know. We can help!
- How Language I/O Saves on Support Costs with Standard Text
- How Language I/O Response and Language I/O Help Saved Customers Time and Money
- How Language I/O Can Customize Your Translation Glossary
- How Language I/O Machine Translation Surpasses Competitors
- Headed to Oracle Modern CX? Come Join Us for a Multilingual Customer Support Demo
- What is Language I/O?
- Happy International Women’s Day!
- Language I/O Data Protection Officer Gives Security Tips to Small Businesses
- Guest Blog: Language and Hospitality, a Student's Experience
- Which Multilingual Customer Service Solution Is Right for You?
- Happy American Business Women’s Day From Ours to Yours
- Multilingual Customer Support Company Hires New Marketing Manager
- Five Steps Toward Multilingual Customer Support
- Why We’re Thrilled We Don’t Have VC Funding
- Multilingual Customer Service Tech Company Welcomes New Cadre of Staff
- PRESS RELEASE: Save Money on Support Costs with New Chat Translation Software
- Language I/O Chat Completes Omnichannel Support Trifecta
- Language I/O Offers Party Bag, Not Conference Swag, at Oracle Customer Service Event
- Language I/O Welcomes Top Development Talent to the Team
- April Showers Bring Vegas, Baby!