NLP/ML Architect & Manager
We are looking for a Machine Learning Architect to help us improve our NLP products and create new ML and LLM-powered applications, along with leading a small ML/NLP engineering team. In addition to providing hands-on technical leadership, you’ll be designing and developing NLP applications, training and evaluating standard ML models, and designing custom ML models. You’ll also transform natural language data into useful features using NLP/ML techniques to feed classification algorithms. To succeed in this role, you should possess outstanding skills in statistical analysis, machine learning methods and text representation techniques, and a willingness and ability to ship ML/LLM based applications quickly and frequently, provided that the risk analysis justifies the decision. The market is moving too quickly to wait for perfection. In addition to traditional ML responsibilities, you’ll need a solid basis in generative AI technologies and LLM domain adaptation techniques.
This is a 100% remote role, located within the US. We are unable to provide sponsorship for this position.
Language I/O’s mission is to provide the most accurate and secure real-time translation solution for business. Our core translation product, CRM integrations, and API allow organizations to increase support capacity and expand to new markets, without requiring a proportionate expansion of their support headcount and contact center overhead. Our technology provides a robust translation service that aggregates and enhances outputs from the world’s top machine translation engines, embedded seamlessly into support agent workflows with our enterprise-grade integrations.
- Manage a small team of ML/NLP-focused engineers
- Work alongside your team and other Language I/O software engineers to design, develop, test, and document robust and scalable ML/NLP/LLM pipelines that improve translation quality
- Select, train, test, and deploy appropriate ML models for a variety of situations (ex. supervised vs. unsupervised; classification vs. regression)
- Implement effective text representation to transform natural language content into useful features while preserving privacy
- Use methods such as prompt engineering, fine-tuning, and domain adaptation to adapt LLMs such as PaLM for usage in internal and customer-facing applications
- Work across the complete data lifecycle including collection, cleaning/wrangling, feature engineering, warehousing, and visualization
- Stay up to date in the rapidly evolving fields of ML, NLP, and GenAI
- Communicate complex technical concepts and ideas clearly to stakeholders
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, mathematics, computational linguistics or similar field
- At least three years of experience working in the private sector developing ML models on an Agile software development team
- Experience as a technical lead or manager
- Extensive Python experience, including experience incorporating libraries commonly used in ML/NLP/GenAI (such as pandas, numpy, scikit-learn, pytorch, spacy, huggingface, and langchain)
- Experience selecting, training, evaluating, and deploying ML models
- Experience with common NLP tasks such as text parsing and representation (ex. tokenization, n-grams, bag of words, vector embeddings), semantic extraction, and sentiment analysis
- Familiarity with common evaluation methods used in NLP and their limitations
- Experience adapting LLMs to specific needs using methods such as prompt engineering, fine-tuning, RLHF, domain adaptation (ex. using vector databases for RAG)
- Ability to evaluate LLM output quality and ability to mitigate common issues such as hallucinations, prompt injection, and inconsistent behavior from both within the model and externally through good software development practices in surrounding pipelines
- Understanding of RDBMS principles and experience with MySQL, ideally including python-MySQL integration (ie. with SQLAlchemy)
- Proficiency with Unix/Linux and CLI tools
- Proven experience designing projects and taking them from proof of concept to production while ensuring code is robust, well-tested, performant, and scalable
- Excellent communication skills
Nice to have
- Multilingual background and/or multilingual NLP experience
- Familiarity with neural machine translation (NMT) engines
- Knowledge of global regulations and best practices in data privacy
- Experience with PaLM 2 and Vertex AI
- Familiarity with MLOps, especially in AWS and Google Cloud
- Familiarity with NoSQL databases frequently used in ML applications
- Experience creating and interacting with REST API applications
This is a 100% remote, full-time, salaried, exempt position. Qualified candidates must be authorized to work in the United States of America for any employer.
Position includes medical, dental, and vision insurance plan options, 401(k), PTO, and a competitive salary.
Job Type: Full-time, fully-remote
Language I/O provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.